Whether it’s a television show, beauty contest, or maybe old school cartoons, we all came across people who applied cucumber to their eyes. Cucumbers are often related to elegance and relaxation. To relieve puffiness and reduce dark circles, some people add cucumber specifically to the eyes. Cucumber contains a wide range of essential vitamins and minerals, which are enough to meet everyday nutritional needs. So to know why do people put cucumbers on their eyes. Let’s understand the benefits of it.
Benefits of Cucumber
- It contains antioxidants, which may help in reducing aging marks on the skin.
- It is a source of Vitamin C, known for developing new skin cells.
- Cucumbers contain nearly 95% liquid, which moisturizes the skin due to their high water content.
- It helps to reduce dark circles because of its natural moisturizing properties.
- It is used to treat sunburn because of its “in-build” analgesic and antioxidant nature.
- It helps brighten the skin as it inhibits tyrosinase, an enzyme involved in the production of melanin.
Benefits of Applying Cucumber on Eyes
Get Rid of Wrinkles
Wrinkles may be caused by a genetic issue, excessive smoking, or pollution. They are the lines that form on our skin, which look like natural “folds” on skin. The natural antioxidants in cucumber and natural liquids are used to hydrate the skin and eventually work against wrinkles. The leading cause of wrinkles is loose skin. Cucumbers contain a protein that naturally tightens skin and will help you get rid of wrinkles, which is another reason you should apply cucumbers to your eyes.
Dark Circle Reduction
Dark circle is a black layer that covers skin under your eyes, causing the skin to be pale, which is generally caused when your body does not get enough sleep, or may also be caused by genetics. Cucumber’s antioxidants help the skin to fight against fluid accumulation under the eyes.
Makes Your Skin Glow
Silica is a mineral present in cucumber, which helps in glowing skin naturally. So cucumber may become your best friend, at least before parties and events. Dull skin can be treated well with cucumber and, this gives us another good reason to apply cucumbers on eyes.
Reduces Swelling and Puffs Under Eyes
Puffiness is caused by the weakening of some muscles used to support our eyelids. It may be caused by lack of sleep and other harmful chemicals present in cosmetic items that penetrate your skin. Fortunately, cucumber helps reduce this puffiness by decreasing temperature around your eyes, thus ensuring better blood flow. Anti-inflammatory properties present in cucumber may also change things for good. So, if you are a typical victim of puffiness and swelling under the eyes, cucumber must be given a try.
Get Rid of Red Eyes
Red eyes are caused due to the dust inside the eyes and Dehydration. Appling cucumber on the eyes gives you a natural dose of moisturizer, and this moisture will help dust get its way out from the eyes, giving you a sigh of relief from red eyes.
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B complex
- Vitamin A
How to Use Cucumber on Eyes?
Before getting started, make sure you have a nice place to sit and that you have a cucumber in the fridge or at some cool place. Here are the steps for how to use cucumber on the eyes.
1. Wash your face using any face wash to feel fresh and clean.
2. Take fresh and washed cucumber, cut two pieces of 1cm each. Some people tend to shave the skin to reduce the chance of toxic emissions, such as pesticides, going into their eyes.
3. Sit down on your comfortable sofa or bed, close your eyes, and put cucumber on each eye for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. If the cucumbers start to warm up, you can turn it up to the other side.
The Final Takeaway!
With the help of the above article, now you know why people put cucumber on the eye. Cucumber contains pesticides that may result in harming your eyes, so as a general practice, fifteen minutes is the ideal time to keep cucumber on your eyes, from each side. Also, prevent usage overnight because it contains specific acids that may harm your eyes and skin if kept for too long.